Chronic Knee Pain
The Top 5 Knee Pain Home Remedies
Chronic knee pain can be frustrating and debilitating. Most chronic knee pain will involve pain that is usually felt in the front part of the knee (anterior knee) and this is usually the result of the knee cap (patella) not tracking properly in the front of the knee.
You see, the knee cap acts in part as a lever system that when the quadriceps muscle contracts, it pulls on the quad tendon, which the knee cap is embedded within, helps to pull the tendon to produce motion between the lower leg and upper leg. Many times, imbalances of the leg and hip muscles can cause this chronic knee pain sensation. A simple remedy at home can include several management strategies:
- Apply an ice pack to the painful knee: place a cloth over the skin of the knee then place ice pack onto knee for ~ 10 minutes.
- Cross friction massage to the painful area. Using either your thumb or index/middle finger, apply pressure to the painful region of your knee (for example: your tendon below the knee cap) rub cross ways for 60 seconds. Stop and repeat at least 3 times.
- With your painful knee straight while lying in bed, place a towel under your knee, push your knee down into the towel and hold for 5 seconds. Rest and repeat for 5 more times enduring that you place tension on the front thigh muscle.
- While seated in your chair and your knee bent to about 90 degrees and foot flat on the floor, press your foot down into floor, placing most of the pressure through your heel. Fee the inside part of your knee’s muscle contract. Hold for 5 seconds. Relax. Repeat 5 more times.
- If you’re able, lie down on your stomach. Bring your heel towards your buttocks, bending your knee. Hold for 10-30 seconds. Release. Repeat at least 2 more times.